Monday, July 1, 2013

a handprint and grace.

So today I am having one of those days. You know, the kind where you are pretty sure life doesn't get much worse. Everything goes wrong. Your very energetic four-and-a-half year old is pretty sure he doesn't need a nap, although his attitude begs to differ. You have no idea what your family is eating for dinner since you haven't made your meal plan for the week. You start to feel kind of gross and wonder why…then realize you are still in your workout clothes from the gym this morning. Yeah, one of those days.

I decided I was tired of looking at our very dirty floors…two kids, a dog, a cat, and a husband dirty. I pulled out the vacuum and sucked up last night's {who am I kidding, the past few day's} breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, after-dinner snack crumbs. I then saw all the smudged-on food that was just not going to be taken care of with a vacuum. I whipped out my amazing deluxe steam mop two rags, filled up the sink with bleach water, and used my feet to swoosh around the floor and give it a good clean.

I then looked over at my handprint smudged glass doors and realized that I could barely see out thanks to the smears of who knows what all over them. I sparkled them up and was finally able to see through them again. I was about to open the door and come back in when my oh-so-adorbale four-and-a-half year old {you know, the one who didn't need a nap today} smudged his cute little handprint right on the glass. My first reaction was to lose it and ask him why in the world he would rub his dirty little hand all over the glass that I just cleaned. But instantly I heard a voice in my spirit whisper to me asking me how I think God feels when I go and rub my dirty hand print all over His "sparkly clean glass."

Grace is a powerful thing, and I am so thankful for it. I don't even want to think about how many times God goes and washes me white as snow, then I turn around and do something that turns me to filth again. This is something that happens over and over. I hope that God would never "lose it" on me. I am striving to be more and more like God everyday, but I fall short. And in those times I am so thankful for  grace.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great reminder! I too, had one of those mornings! Flashing lights, pulled over on a Monday kinda morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no fun! Hope it got better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great analogy! and my floors got some tlc today, too!

    ReplyDelete