Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cheeseburger Soup {new recipe Wednesday}

I am a big fan of soup. Give me a big ol' bowl of soup and a piece of bread…or better yet, soup in a bread bowl {yum!!}…and I am one happy girl. As much as I love it though, up until about six months ago I never really tried making it. I think I was a little intimidated by soup. Not exactly sure why, but I was. So a few months ago I decided I wanted to start making soup once a week. I started easy. Chicken soup. Who doesn't love a nice hot bowl of chicken soup. I made mine with brown rice, barley, and as many veggies as I could fit in the pot. It was delicious! That was all I needed. Intimidation gone! From there I decided I wanted to try as many new soups as I could.

Well, one glorious day as I was browsing the internet for some new recipes, I came across a soup recipe that I had never heard of before. Cheeseburger soup. Well, me being the big fan of {turkey} cheeseburgers that I am, I had to try it! And try it I did! It. was. amazing. It's nothing extravagent. Nothing too out of the ordinary. But for some reason I am just in love with this soup!



{Turkey} Cheeseburger Soup

1 Tbs. butter
3/4 c. diced onions
3/4 c. peeled and diced carrots
3/4 c. diced celery
3/4 lb. ground turkey
2 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
4 c. chicken broth
3 Tbs. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. milk (I used 1%)
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. sour cream

In a large stockpot, saute the onions, carrots, and celery in 1 Tbs of butter for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey in a skillet until no longer pink.

Add the ground turkey to the stockpot along with the potatoes, basil, parsley, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25- 30 minutes.

Ten minutes before the soup is done, use the skilled you used to cook the turkey and melt 3 Tbs. of butter. Add the flour and stir for one minute. Add the milk to the skillet and bring to a boil. Continue to cook and stir until thickened. Remove the skillet from the heat, add in the cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in salt and pepper. Stir the cheese mixture into the stockpot until combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.  Enjoy!

The first time I made this I made homemade bread bowls to serve the soup in. That was pure perfection! If you want to skip the bread bowl, you can't go wrong with a big chunk of crusty bread on the side too!

I hope you make this and love it as much as we did! If you make it, I'd love to know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment