Wednesday, July 24, 2013

{New Recipe Wednesday} Caprese Lasagna Roll-Ups

As I think I've made it pretty clear, I love food. That just goes without saying. And what type of food is at the top of my list? Italian food…hands down. Not sure if it's that little bit of Italian floating around in my blood, or the fact that my dad also loves it so I grew up eating it all the time. But I could probably eat it every day. For the sake of my family though, I do try to mix it up. I don't want things getting boring around our house…so we'll do Chinese one night, Mexican another, some good ole' American thrown in there too.

So of course today I am sharing with you one of my new favorite recipes! I found it on Pinterest a few weeks ago and was so excited to try it! I am so happy that I did because it jumped instantly to the top of my favorites list! Not sure if it was the creamy cheese filling or the incredibly simple, fresh taste from the basil and tomatoes, but it was a winner! I served it alongside our favorite chicken cutlets, fresh bread, and a green salad. Delish!


Doesn't that look amazing? Well, follow this recipe and in no time you will be sitting down to a delicious dinner!

-Caprese Lasagna Roll-Ups-

8 uncooked lasagna noodles
3/4 c. ricotta cheese
1 large egg white
16 ounces freshly shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/3 c. freshly shredded parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
4-5 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 32 slices)
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
1 c. spaghetti sauce (or Sunday gravy as I grew up calling it) 


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook your noodles to al dente. Drain the noodles and lay them in a single layer on wax paper. 
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese and egg white until completely combined. Stir in 14 ounces of the mozzarella and the parmesan cheese. Season with black pepper, to taste.
4. Ladle 1/4 cup of sauce into the bottom of an 11x7 inch baking dish. 
5. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture onto each noodle and spread from one end to the other. Top each noodle with 4 slices of tomato then sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes. Roll-up each noodle tightly from one end to the other and place the rolls seam side down into the prepared baking dish. Using the rest of the sauce, cover the top of each roll completely (so the noodles do not dry out). Sprinkle the remaining 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese over each roll. 
 6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove and garnish with fresh basil.

I can smell it now…the fresh basil hitting the warm roll-up and unleashing one of the most incredible aromas ever. A-ma-zing. I seriously hope you give this a try! You will not be sorry! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment